Medical Cannabis in North Macedonia
The Law on Control of Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances in the Republic of North Macedonia, regulates the competencies of the state bodies responsible for the control of the production and trade of narcotic drugs and psychotropic substances, the growing conditions and the supervision over the cultivation of plants from which drugs can be obtained, prevention and suppression of drug abuse, prevention of illicit production and trafficking of drugs and psychotropic substances are in order to protect human health.
With the amendments to the Law on Control of Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances in 2016, the conditions for growing cannabis for medical purposes were regulated by legal entities that after fulfilling the conditions in terms of space, equipment and staff, evaluated by a Commission established by Minister of Health, receive approval for the cultivation of cannabis for medical purposes, with the prior consent of the Government of the Republic of Northern Macedonia.
The legal entity, grower of cannabis for medical purposes, processes the dry mass of the plant exclusively in the Republic of Northern Macedonia by a legal entity that has a license for production of cannabis extracts. Cannabis grown for medical purposes in the Republic of Northern Macedonia can be processed exclusively in the Republic of Northern Macedonia by legal entities that have a license for the production of cannabis extracts.
The new draft-law, which is currently in the parliamentary procedure, enables the export of dried flowers obtained by growing cannabis for medical purposes, so that the legal entities that grow cannabis are provided with the already produced quantities of dry herbal product as narcotic drugs. place them on the markets in Europe and beyond while respecting the international Conventions and the European legislation that regulates the matter.
So far in the Republic of Northern Macedonia, approval for cultivation of cannabis for medical purposes after previously obtained consent from the Government of the Republic of Northern Macedonia have received twenty-nine companies, with a tendency to increase that number. The interest for investing in the Republic of Northern Macedonia for growing cannabis for medical purposes is due to the favorable business climate, as well as the cheap labor on the labor market. The interest has increased due to the rapidly rising price on the world stock market of cannabis oil and the dried flower of the cannabis plant.
Based on this law, it is determined that the approval for cultivation of cannabis for medical and / or scientific purposes is obtained on the basis of an attached application with:
1. Proof that the legal entity is registered in the Central Register of the Republic of Northern Macedonia,
2. Proof of ownership of the space / area or land on which cannabis is grown, dried, cut and stored (property certificate) or a lease agreement or a usufruct agreement for state-owned agricultural land or privately owned agricultural land,
3. Proof of possession of own physical security, in accordance with the legal regulations or physical security agreement with a licensed space security company,
4. Proof of fulfillment of the condition for the required professional staff,
5. Study / plan for cannabis cultivation for medical and / or scientific purposes,
6. Bank guarantee in the amount of 300,000 euros, in MKD counter value,
7. Statement that 20% of the net profit realized in the current year of the legal entity, will pay to the appropriate account of the budget of the Republic of North Macedonia
8. Proof of paid administrative fee
The above text is for information purpose only. It’s content cannot be cosnidered a legal advise. Please consult a lawyer for more specific legal information.